With the assistance of Mr Reg Hepworth, a keen old Scouter, a committee was formed and as far as I can recall it consisted of Mr Hepworth, Mr Merryweather, Mr Brinkworth, Mr Duminy Mara’s and Mr Jan van der Merwe. Mrs Snelling and Mrs Foster agreed to run the Pack.

Our first meetings were at Mrs Foster’s home and as she lived a bit out of town, (Skilpadsvlei, in fact, in the house that Lawrence Green once owned) it was decided that we should move to the Brinkworth’s home in Plein Street. After some time we moved to the Snelling’s home in Church Street.

We made our own scarves and what a business to get the colour we wanted. Every conceivable combination seemed to have been allocated to other Packs and Troops, however in the end we managed to get the colours the boys wear today registered, so that was one step forward. I am sorry to say I can give you no dates as to when we got started — it would have been somewhere about 1955.

We held many fundraising events, small cake sales on the sidewalks of the streets, our favourite place being outside Victor Goldberg’s pharmacy on the corner of Oxford and Wellington Rd. Our biggest fund raiser was organised by the Crooke family, Winifred, Charles and son Michael, which enabled us to buy a small hut, still used today by the Lions, where we settled down.

We had quite a large Pack consisting of English and Afrikaans boys. Some names I recall: David Gardon, Christopher Starke, Christopher Antonis, John and Simon Sutton, Anthony Clarke, Andre Knoop, Adrian and Michael Brinkworth, Roland Snelling, John Leftwich, Paul van Niekerk, Paul du Plessis, David Freeman, Ryk de Witt, Derrick van der Merwe and Michael Kreft. I may have left someone out for which I apologise.

We were joined soon after we started by Mr Badger Miles and Mr Tony Runkel who started the Scouts going. Our boys did very well, winning many trophies and shields. I have no record of how many times they won but I know they went to many camps at Gilcape and did extremely well. They also went camping with the Scouts as neither Mrs Foster or myself were qualified to take them camping. Mrs Foster was Akela and I was Baloo.

After a tragedy in the Foster family, Mrs Foster did not do as much as before in the running of the Pack and I managed alone for a while. Mrs Anne Grieve came in to help here sons Graham and Athol joining the Group. Mrs Pansy Henderson-Jones was a tireless worker and together with Mrs Patty Wagner helped in the making of the scarves. Henry Henderson-Jones was also a Cub at about this time.

Mrs Pam Street was another willing helper and Mrs Jill Keeping also assisted to keep the Cubs going. Mr Ted Clayton was also a committee member as were Mr/s Visser whose two sons also joined Scouts. Mr Michael Crooke became a Queen’s Scout and also worked hard to support the Group.

Mr Bobby Marais served as Group Scouter for some time and I am sure there were other Queen’s Scouts but unfortunately I cannot remember them and I have no notes to which I can refer. The Clayton boys Keith and Roger and Clive did their bit too, and Mrs Nancy Clarke’s boys were also active — Jimmy in the Scouts and Anthony as a Cub.

After four years, I had to give up my position as I started full time work and no longer had time for meetings. I rather last touch with the Scouts after that, but have always been keenly interested in everything that 1st Durbanville does and feel a great pride that they have done so well with such loyal supporters during the years. Doreen Snelling and Mike Crooke attended our food fair in celebration of our 50th Anniversary at 1st Durbanvile.

This letter has been reprinted
Many, many thanks to Mrs Doreen Snelling for these memories...